2021 in-person workshops
Our In-Person ArtsCan Circle’s Workshops are run by local artists and ArtsCan Circle’s Artistic Directors. Due to COVID-19, we are not sending artists to communities until it’s safe to do so for everyone.
How do we keep the workshops running in communities? In Pikangikum First Nation, we’ve hired an Artistic Director to run the ArtsCan Circle’s Music Program throughout the year. We also work with local artists in the James Bay area to run ArtsCan Circle’s Healing Through Music workshops. If you are interested in learning how to facilitate an ArtsCan Circle Workshop in your community or apply to be an Artistic Director, please email us.
Pikangikum First Nation, Ontario
In May and June 2021, we hired an Artistic Director, Morris George-Ellington, to facilitate keyboard and music workshops (16 in total) on the weekends. Eleven participants, all ages, graduated from the program and received a Completion Certificate, ArtsCan Circle’s shipped hoodies and donated keyboards for the graduating students on the Musical Event Night attended by the community.
This fall, Artist Director Morris George-Ellington will be running ArtsCan Circle’s Music Workshops every weekend till the end of the year. Follow us on our social media platforms to stay updated on their progress!
- Returning artists Cindy Paul & Lisa Rosati were in Attawapiskat from March 9 – 13 working with students at Vezina Secondary on a large scale mural project! Check out our image page and socials for the pictures of the incredible mural.
- Attawapiskat: Indigenous Hip Hop Group Mob Bounce | September 15 – 21
- Carcross Yukon: Indigenous Singer Songwriters – Mimi O’Bonsawin, Cindy Paul | September 22 – 28
- Fort Albany: Indigenous Singer Songwriter – Mimi O’Bonsawin, Glenn Marais, Scott Somerville & Juulie Rousseau | October 6 – 12
- Natuashish: Indigenous Singer Songwriter Cindy Paul, Randy Brethour & Ryan Ainsworth | October 6 – 12
- Pikangikum: Indigenous Producer Cjay Monias, Indigenous Filmmaker Lindsay Sarazin, 2nd Assistant Mathieu Taillefer | October 20 – 26
- Attawapiskat: B’Boy Lee Pham & two pianists Debroah Hui & Terri Wu | February 4 – 8
- Gjoa Haven: Indigenous Indigenous Singer Songwriter Cindy Paul & Multi-Instrumentalist – Jessamin Flynn| February 25 – March 1
- Fort Albany: Indigenous Hip Hop Group Mob Bounce | April 8 – 12
- Pikangikum | November 18 – 24
- Attawapiskat | November 11 – 18
- Natuashish | October 14 – 21
- Fort Albany | October 14 – 28
Artscan has visited the following communities
- Gjoa Haven
- Fort Albany
- La Seul
- Sioux Lookout
- Moose Factory
- Rankin Inlet
- Thunder Bay