Mike is an award-winning harmonica player, innovator, author, composer and keynote speaker. Mike has been awarded
- The CMMA Slaight Music Humanitarian Award
- The Meritorious Service Medal
- Queens Diamond Jubilee Medal
- YMCA Canada Peace Medal
- Honorary Kentucky Colonel
- Estelle Klien Award, Award of Excellence
- Peter Gzowski Award – PGI Canada National Literacy
- Innovator of the Year – Canada Folk Music Awards
- The Recording of the Year and the Entertainer of the Year – Central Canadian Bluegrass Award.
Mike’s love and passion is working with indigenous youth in northern communities in North America. He has visited over 70 indigenous communities over the years. In 2002, he founded ArtsCan Circle. Mike has built strong and life-long relationships with many of the community members.
Mike has toured with the Canadian Peacekeepers and performed for the troops around the world. He has recorded, toured and performed in concert venues like the Grand Ole Opry. Mike was born and raised in Sarnia. He currently lives there with his wife Jane and son. Mike likes salt and vinegar chips.